Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro Boot - Initial Impression
To give some perspective- I’ve owned the same pair of boots for the last 5 years. There’s been a few times that I’ve wanted to get a new pair of kicks, but couldn’t justify it until my existing pair were worn and seen better days.
I wanted my new pair of boots to cater to the type of riding I’ve been doing most lately which is off-road, single track and dual sport environments. There’s several boots to choose from but quality begins to suffer after a certain dollar amount. Keeping it relatively cost effective without sacrificing the standard of the boot is the goal of this review and ultimately brought me to zero in on the Tech 7 Enduro off-road boots.
Alpinestars’ first generation Tech 7 was a boot that I owned several years ago racing motocross. While I don’t have them any longer, there were some characteristics of it’s construction that sticks out in my memory. The boot seemed to be heavier than it’s competition and the buckles gave me problems every once in a while. It’s never a good start to the ride when you have to pound your fists attempting to get the boot buckles to snap into place- especially in cold weather.
Initially fitting the boots I was pumped to find the buckles are amazing. Possibly the best design available out of all manufacturers. The “heavy” feeling of the original Tech 7 is long gone as well. My first ride wearing the Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro boots I noticed immediately that there isn’t much of a break in period. These boots are comfortable to walk in as well as riding. They provide some grip on the ground due to the sole construction, which is non-existent with a motocross boot. Actually, it’s pretty entertaining to watch riders walk around on slick, wet clay here in the PNW during the fall/winter/spring while wearing moto boots.
I plan to have a long term review after I can get some miles on these bad boys so stay tuned. In the mean time, here’s some information on the boot provided by Alpinestars:
The Tech 7 Enduro boot features a specifically engineered, compound sole to provide Enduro riders superior durability, grip, feel and levels of structural rigidity. This CE certified boot promotes core stability and flex via a biomechanical pivot while offering excellent ankle protection. The boot chassis has been designed to give complete feel and optimized interaction with bike controls, while the innovative buckle system allows easy, precise closure.
• Upper constructed from innovative microfiber material that is flexible and abrasion resistant. Upper material is reinforced with PU for high levels of water-resistance and durability and improved weight-saving performance.
• Specifically designed compound sole provides ATV and Enduro riders superior durability, grip, feel and a high level of structural rigidity. The sole and footpeg insert are replaceable.
• Alpinestars developed TPU shin plate and medial protection are constructed from one single part for greater structural integrity and stability. The anatomically profiled shin plate features a dual closure system with an internal microfiber flap attached with Velcro® for a precise fit closure while the rugged and durable shin plate attached securely with a precision adjustable buckle.
• Wide entry aperture for convenience and allows broad ranging calf fit adjustment and support.
• The TPU medial side panel incorporates an advanced honeycomb rubber insert and is designed for excellent grip against the bike while guarding against impact.
• Innovative buckle closure system includes high-impact aluminium bridge closures, with memory settings and a quick release/locking system with self-aligning design for easy, precise closure and improved riding performance. All buckles are replaceable.
• Contoured calf protector plate is injected with high modulus polymer for impact resistance and incorporates Alpinestars' developed blade flex system for greater precision control and movement, added protection for heel and Achilles tendon and helps prevent hyperflexion.
• New TPU ankle protection system incorporating a biomechanical link between the middle and bottom sections of the boot helping prevent damage to the leg by providing progressive force relief for torsional forces.
• Redesigned instep and Achilles accordion flex zones construction for superior comfort, control and support.
• Incorporating an innovative one-piece injected dual compound foot shell with co-injected hard toe protector and integrated steel shank. The shell is highly resistant to abrasion and impact, adds to the bootﾒs overall durability and improves boot's streamlining.
• Extended microfiber gaiter helps prevent excessive water and dirt entry.
• Internal 3D lining includes anti-slide microfiber suede on the heel to help keep foot in position.
• Soft foam reinforcement on ankles and collar for long lasting comfort and shock absorption.
• New, dual compound, removable anatomic footbed includes EVA and Lycra top for comfort and support ensures even weight distribution and reinforced heel.
• The Tech 7 boot is CE certified.